Friday, August 31, 2012

Blessings

It's been awhile, but after hearing Laura Story's "Blessings" this morning, I felt compelled to catch up on my blogging. This song was one that I thought of and used as prayer a lot when Emry was in the hospital. It really hits home with me and I wanted to share it with you all.

"Blessings"
We pray for blessings
We pray for peace
Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
We pray for healing, for prosperity
We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
All the while, You hear each spoken need
Yet love is way too much to give us lesser things

'Cause what if your blessings come through raindrops
What if Your healing comes through tears
What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom
Your voice to hear
We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
As if every promise from Your Word is not enough
All the while, You hear each desperate plea
And long that we'd have faith to believe

When friends betray us
When darkness seems to win
We know that pain reminds this heart
That this is not our home

What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
What if trials of this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
Are your mercies in disguise  
 
In the case that it hits home with you as well, here is a link to the song. It's beautiful...I could never hear it too many times: "Blessings"
 
I think the last time I blogged (that feels weird to say/type), was after Nolan's birthday party. Since then Nolan "actually" turned 4. He woke up, not quite realizing it was his birthday, but Dylan and I quickly reminded him. He had streamers hanging from his door (which are still there) and he was delighted to have breakfast in bed and some "ipad time." The rest of the day was spent with family in Owatonna. My siblings, their families and my parents were all able to get together. It is always nice to see everyone and happens way too infrequently.  Since his actual birthday, Nolan has been trying to wipe on his own (I know you were all dying for an update)...however, one incident has provided a set back with that progress, because he actually got some poop on his hand....he was devastated. He called me in, I told him "NOT TO TOUCH ANYTHING" (because I was picturing poop handprints all over my bathroom), got him cleaned up and we were good to go. However, since that time, he wants more help because he's so afraid to get poop on his hands. We are "practicing" for preschool...and have a lot to do over labor day weekend to get him there before school starts on Tuesday! We had a wonderful open house experience for preschool this past Wednesday. Nolan was a bit shy at first. When his teacher asked his name he said "N-O-L-A-N." And then when I asked him to say it, he had a little brain block....but after that he found his way around the classroom, playing with all the toys.  Emry also had a blast, pretty much "owning" the room....we think, she thinks, she should be there too!  On our way home, we reminded Nolan he would have to wipe his own butt if he pooped....he said, "but mom, what if I get poop on my hand?" I told him he could just take more toilet paper and wipe it off, finish and then wash his hands, really, really good.  He said, "BUT MOM, you told me I couldn't touch anything if that happened"....as you can see, his memory is pretty good!
 
Miss Em is doing very well. You would never know that a month ago, we were in ICU. I still get a little teared up thinking about what she went through...and thinking that we had thoughts of actually losing her. Her recovery is and has been amazing. She has a check on Monday, which was just an ultra sound. I do believe the experience is still quite vivid in her mind as she screamed/cried the whole time, but all in all she was great. We will compare those ultrasound pictures with some that will be taken in December. At this point we STILL do not have the bloodwork back from the Familial Mediterranean Disease test.  We have another appt on Thursday, so I am hoping that let's us know our results. 
 
All in all things here are wonderful. Each day is definitely a blessing and we are trying to live day by day, while also trying to look at the big picture ...understanding some answers aren't known until way down the road.
 
...Do you ever look back to years past and think, Oh yea, I'm so glad that did (or did not) happen? I can remember times in my life that I felt so deeply consumed, thinking that I wouldn't get past certain situations...and now I look back and am so thankful for those same situations... Those are "mercies in disguise."

No comments:

Post a Comment